Blue Jay Aquatics
For questions or information about our swim programs including masters swimming, swimming lessons, swim team, private lessons, or lifeguard certification/re-certification, please contact Aquatic Director Leandra Manos at 860.231.5425 or by email: firstname.lastname@example.org
Blue & Gold Swim School
Spring 2014 Registrations available!
Lifeguarding class offered during April vacation!
Get certified in time for summer job applications! There will be an American Red Cross Lifeguarding class offered to individuals ages 15 and over during April vacation. Cost is $350 and includes the Lifeguard manual in PDF format and the CPR masks for infants and child/adult.
Class registrants must be able to pass the following pre-requisites on the first day in order to continue with the class:
- 300 yard continuous swim freestyle and breastroke
- 2 minutes of treading water in the deep end using only the legs
- Timed task… swim 20 yards, retrieve a 10-lb brick in 7-10 feet of water, resurface, keep 2 hands on the brick at or above the surface of the water, kick 20 yards back to wall… climb out without using stairs or ladder… stand up. Task must be completed in 1 minute and 40 seconds.
In order to pass the course, participants must attend and participate in ALL class sessions, pass a practical final exam, and score at least 80% on two written multiple choice exams.
Class schedule is as follows:
Saturday, April 12th 10AM-6pm
Sunday, April 13th 12pm-6pm
Monday, April 14th 8:30AM-3:30pm
Tuesday, April 15th 11AM-3:30pm
Wednesday, April 16th 8:30AM-3:30pm
Thursday, April 17th 11AM-3pm
Blue Jay Masters – (Starting April 8) Organizational meeting Thursday, April 3 at 5:45 p.m. in the O’Connell Center lobby
Swimming is one of the most popular forms of exercise in the United States. An estimated 2 million Americans enjoy competitive swimming and an estimated 9 million Americans are fitness swimmers.
Anyone age 18 and over who is interested in Fitness Swimming, Competition, Open Water, or Triathlons is welcome to join Blue Jay Masters. Requirements to join are:
1) Must be a member of the O’Connell Athletic Center (For membership information, see the MEMBERSHIP tab in the left column)
2) Must be an Individual Member of USMS (For membership information, go to https://www.usms.org/reg/register.php)
3) Pay a small Blue Jay Masters annual fee of $5.00 (this is to cover the fee to register our Workout Group with USMS).
Recreational swimmers looking for a formal practice, former collegiate and High School swimmers, triathletes-in-training, etc. are all welcome. Contact Lmanos@usj.edu for more info.