WEST HARTFORD, Conn. — Three wins in a row for the flock in the 'O-C', as the University of Saint Joseph (USJ) men's basketball team got its third straight double-digit win, this one over Elms College (EC), 86-48, inside a rowdy O'Connell Center Tuesday night.
Freshman guard Taelon Martin (Springfield, Mass.) led all scorers with 16 points on 7-of-11 from the field. He shook the O'Connell center with a monster slam in the first half [pictured], and a sensational reverse jam in the second. Sophomore's Tyree Mitchell (East Hartford, Conn.), and Ryan O'Neill (Litchfield, Conn) reached double figures as well. For Mitchell, it was the third straight double-digit performance and the first three of his career. The Blue Jays went on a 23-5 run midway through the first half to take a 35-16 lead. It would be a double-digit lead in the rest of the way, as the Blazers shot just 24% from the field (17-72), and 46% from the free-throw line (10-22).
Score: Saint Joseph 86, Elms 48
Records: USJ (4-2), EC (2-6)
Location: O'Connell Center | West Hartford, Conn.
PLAYER QUOTE [Taelon Martin]
"My teammates were pushing me and giving me a lot of energy off the bench. They help me play better, as well as taking constructive criticism from the coaches and playing hard. I don't even think about it [on his dunk]...I just jump."
COACH QUOTE [Glen Miller]
"We have good depth and athleticism, but when it comes to these up-tempo games, where the other team is going to get out and run, take a lot of shots, a lot of mistakes can be made, and the talent is going to win out. Tonight we were more talented, but the execution has to be much tighter overall for us to get to where we want to be."
- The Blazers came out and took an early lead behind the hot hand of sophomore guard Justin Feliciano (Springfield, Mass.), who scored eight of his 13 in the first four minutes, giving Elms an 8-5 lead.
- After a few minutes of back and forth action, the Blue Jays blew the game open with a 23-5 run to take a 35-16 lead with 5:15 in the first half.
- USJ capped the half on an 11-3 run to take a 46-19 lead into the locker room. It would build a 40-point lead at one point in the second half on its way to victory.
NUMBER TO KNOW
68 - The Blue Jays grabbed 68 rebounds, two shy of tying the all-time record (70- Jan. 2019 vs. Lesley). 46 came in the first half. The Blazers had 41 rebounds total.
- USJ held a 50-20 edge in points in the paint, and a 22-0 advantage in fast-break points.
- The Blue Jays had 22 assists on 34 field goals (65%), the highest assist percentage all season.
- 13 players scored for Saint Joseph for the second straight game.
- O'Neill scored 10 of his 13 in the first half.
- Sophomore guard Kewan Smoot (Windsor, Conn.), who entered the game atop the New England Collegiate Conference (NECC) in field goal percentage (71%), was held to 1-of-5 shooting in just nine minutes.
- Saint Joseph is now 1-0 all-time against EC.
Men's hoops remain home for the fourth and final of a four-game homestand in the O'Connell Center on Saturday, December 7 against George Fox (Ore.) in another non-conference contest. Tip-off is scheduled for 3:00 p.m. Tickets can be purchased here.