WEST HARTFORD, Conn. — It was all Blue Jays once again inside the O'Connell Center Saturday afternoon, as the University of Saint Joseph (USJ) men's basketball team picked up its fourth-straight win, 88-56, over George Fox University (GFU).
Junior forward Jordan Powell (Middletown, Conn.) finished two points shy of his career-high, but did pick up his first career double-double with the Blue Jays (22 PTS, 12 REB). He also set a school record for most consecutive field goals, making his first 10 shots from the field. Sophomore guard Delshawn Jackson Jr. (Hartford, Conn.) had a solid all-around performance, scoring 17 points, grabbing eight rebounds, and dishing out six assists. The Blue Jays went on a 10-0 run early in the first half to take a 22-11 lead with 12:37 to go. They led by double-digits the rest of the way. Sophomore forward Kalu Stricklin (Renton, Wash.) led the way for the Bruins with 10 points (4-11 FG).
Score: Saint Joseph 88, George Fox 56
Records: USJ (5-2), GFU (4-3)
Location: O'Connell Center | West Hartford, Conn.
COACH QUOTE [Jim Calhoun]
"It's probably the best game we've played this year. We got out in the open floor and showed our athleticism…when we run, we are a much better team. Everyone feels pretty good because they all got in to contribute, which is a big deal. A really good win for the Blue Jays."
- Four of the first 10 field goals were three-pointers, as both teams looked sharp early. DJ and Stricklin both connected from deep, with the Blue Jays clinging to a 12-11 lead with 15:01 to go.
- USJ put the pedal down with a 10-0 run over the next two-plus minutes, taking a 22-11 lead with 12:37 in the first half.
- The lead quickly ballooned to 26, as the Blue Jays put up a 14-1 run with just 2:48 to go in the first half. The Bruins had no answers in the second half.
NUMBER TO KNOW
66 - The Blue Jays had a season-high 66 points in the paint, to only 20 for George Fox.
- The Bruins entered the game second in the Northwest Conference (NWC) in field goal percentage at 46%. They shot just 27% from the floor Saturday (20-74).
- USJ had 25 assists on 36 field goals.
- Saint Joseph is now 1-0 all-time against George Fox.
- The four-game win streak is the longest in the short history of the USJ men's basketball program.
- USJ has outscored its opponents 364-241 during the streak with an average margin of victory of 30 points.
- The Blue Jays had won three games in a row four different times in program history, including entering Saturday.
Men's basketball is taking its talents to South Beach for the HoopMIA D3 Holiday Shootout, which revs up on Tuesday, December 17 in Miami. USJ will take on Eastern University (PA) at 4:00 p.m. The official tournament page can be accessed here.