HOLYOKE, Mass. — Despite a sensational performance from Bay Path junior guard Emmeline Bronson (Shelton, Conn.), the University of Saint Joseph (USJ) women's basketball team got a much-needed bounce back win over Bay Path University (BPU), 78-39, inside the Bartley Center, on the campus of Holyoke Community College Wednesday night.
The Blue Jays (1-1) will look for back-to-back wins when they compete next in the semifinals of the 22nd Annual USJ Tip-Off Tournament Friday, November 15 at 6:00 p.m. against Pine Manor. The Wildcats meanwhile, dip to 0-2 after the loss to USJ.
Sophomore Cheyenne-Mone Smith (Wethersfield, Conn.) and junior point guard and co-captain Raelynn Voislow (Windsor Locks, Conn.) led the way for USJ with 17 and 16 points each on a combined 12-for-22 shooting (7-8 FT). Smith also snagged a team-high nine rebounds. Bronson was the story for Bay Path, dropping a game-high 23 points on 7-of-13 shooting (4-5 3FG, 5-8 FT).
Score: Saint Joseph 78, Bay Path 39
Records: USJ (1-1), BPU (0-2)
Location: Bartley Center | Holyoke, Mass.
COACH QUOTE [Wendy Davis]
"I'm very excited for my players that we were able to get our first win. I'm hoping we can settle in and not be too nervous at the start of the next game. We improved tonight in many areas from game one, which is ultimately the goal as the season goes on. Everyone contributed tonight."
- Bronson scored 10 of her 23 in the first quarter (including the first eight) to give BPU a 14-11 lead after one.
- The Wildcats took a four-point lead midway through the second quarter, 19-15, but a 16-7 run by the Blue Jays to close the half allowed USJ to pull away, building a double-digit second-half lead.
- The Wildcats were still hanging around though, down 44-32 with less than a minute left in the third. The Blue Jays again answered with a huge 17-1 run over the next five and a half minutes to pull away (this time for good).
NUMBER TO KNOW
42 – The number of points Bronson has scored for Bay Path in two games this season. At 21 points a game, Bronson has scored nearly half of her team's 86 points (49%).
- 12 Blue Jays scored on the night, to only four for the Wildcats.
- Bronson scored 15 of her 23 in the first half.
- USJ outscored Bay Path 67-25 in the final three quarters after trailing by three after the first.
Women's hoops will host the 22nd Annual USJ Tip-Off Tournament Friday November 15 and Saturday November 16, with semifinal action kicking off at 6:00 p.m. against Pine Manor on Friday evening. USJ is a five-time winner of the tournament, but has not won it since 2011.
Follow USJ Athletics
For the latest on University of Saint Joseph athletics, follow the Blue Jays on social media on Facebook, Instagram, Twitter, and YouTube.
Fans can also download the USJ Front Row Mobile App and subscribe to our Newsletter and Text Alerts. #FearTheFlock #GoBlueJays