WEST HARTFORD, Conn. — It was back-to-back dominant performances for the University of Saint Joseph (USJ) women's basketball team, who handled Pine Manor College (PMC), 87-63, in the semifinals of the 22nd Annual USJ Tip-Off Tournament Friday night.
Sophomore Cheyenne-Mone Smith (Wethersfield, Conn.) had her first double-double of the season (13 PTS, 10 REB), while sophomore guard Silvana Barcomb (Middletown, Conn.) dropped a career-high 23 points on 9-of-25 from the field. Junior point guard and co-captain Raelynn Voislow (Windsor Locks, Conn.) added 15 on 7-for-12 shooting. The Gators had three players in double figures as well, actually outscoring USJ's trio, 52-51, but the Blue Jay bench made the difference with a sizeable 32-6 advantage.
Score: Saint Joseph 87, Pine Manor 63
Records: USJ (2-1), PMC (0-1)
Location: O'Connell Center | West Hartford, Conn.
COACH QUOTE [Wendy Davis]
"We had so many contributors [tonight]. We did a lot of things well tonight, from 26 offensive rebounds to 20 assists. Our defense sparked our offense which is important for us to be successful this season."
- The Gators trailed 11-10 with less than four minutes to play in the first quarter. The Blue Jays then capped the quarter on a 12-0 run to take a 23-10 lead (four different Blue Jays scored).
- The Gators cut the lead to nine, 28-19, on a three from freshman guard Telaisha Soller (Lawrence, Mass.), but USJ once again closed the quarter on a 15-4 run to take a 43-23 halftime lead.
- Voislow scored 10 of her 15 points in the third quarter, putting the game away for good.
NUMBER TO KNOW
52 – The number of points the Blue Jays scored in the paint Friday night. They held a 52-20 advantage inside.
- USJ outrebounded PMC, 53-33.
- The Blue Jays' largest lead was 39, and never trailed from start to finish.
- Four of USJ's five three-pointers on the night came from Barcomb (4-13 3FG). The rest of the team went 1-for-15.
The 22nd Annual USJ Tip-Off Tournament continues Saturday November 16, with championship action kicking off at 2:00 p.m., as the Blue Jays host the other semifinal winner, New England College. USJ looks to win the tournament for the first time since 2011. Pine Manor will play Curry College in the consolation game at 12:00 p.m.
Follow USJ Athletics
For the latest on University of Saint Joseph athletics, follow the Blue Jays on social media on Facebook, Instagram, Twitter, and YouTube.
Fans can also download the USJ Front Row Mobile App and subscribe to our Newsletter and Text Alerts. #FearTheFlock #GoBlueJays