NEW LONDON, Conn.— The University of Saint Joseph (USJ) women's basketball team fell behind early and was unable to recover, dropping a non-conference matchup to Coast Guard Academy (CGA), 76-54, inside Roland Hall Monday night.
Five Bears reached double figures, including freshman guard Jacqueline Ward (Brant Beach, N.J.), who scored a game-high 14 points off the bench on 10-of-12 from the free throw line. Senior forward Breanna Wood (Somerset, Mass.) had 12 points (4-4 FG), seven rebounds and three steals. Sophomore guard Silvana Barcomb (Middletown, Conn.) and junior guard Anna Chevarella (Derby, Conn.) led the way for the Blue Jays with 12 apiece. Saint Joseph trailed 19-8 after one quarter, and as each minute ticked away, the Bears slowly but surely expanded on the lead to a comfortable margin.
Score: Saint Joseph 54, Coast Guard 76
Records: USJ (8-6) Coast Guard (11-3)
Location: Roland Hall | New London, Conn.
COACH QUOTE [Wendy Davis] "We definitely came out and didn't play afraid. We competed hard, stayed together, and didn't get burned in transition. It was undoubtedly a step in the right direction despite the loss."
- Five players scored in the first quarter for the Bears, who were aggressive from the opening tip, shooting 7-for-9 from the foul line in the opening 10 minutes alone. Every USJ hoop, CGA seemed to have an answer. 19-8 Bears after one.
- Chevarella scored eight of her 12 in the second quarter as the Blue Jays tried to get back in the game. A layup from freshman guard Tiana Asberry (East Hartford, Conn.) cut it to nine, 30-21 with 5:35 left in the quarter. The Bears capped the quarter on a 13-4 run though to extend the lead out to 18, 43-25.
- The Blue Jays came out with some fire in the second half, outscoring CGA 17-16 in the third, but were unable to get close enough to make a serious run.
NUMBER TO KNOW
50 – The teams combined to shoot 50 free throws (USJ 16-28, CGA 16-22) off of 48 fouls.
- The Blue Jays lost back-to-back games for the first time this season.
- Coast Guard turned 24 Blue Jay turnovers into 24 points.
- The Bears won the rebound margin, 44-37.
- This was the first meeting between the two Connecticut schools since Coast Guard won 63-56 in the 2006-07 season.
The Blue Jays will wrap up their three-game road trip at Emmanuel on Wednesday, January 15 at 7:00 p.m. in the second Great Northeast Athletic Conference game of the season.
Follow USJ Athletics
For the latest on University of Saint Joseph athletics, follow the Blue Jays on social media on Facebook, Instagram, Twitter, and YouTube.
Fans can also download the USJ Front Row Mobile App and subscribe to our Newsletter and Text Alerts. #FearTheFlock #GoBlueJays