LEICESTER, Mass. - The University of Saint Joseph women's basketball team dropped its non-conference finale at Becker College (BC), 65-44, inside Leicester Gymnasium Thursday night.
Senior guard Cassidy Harrison (Foxborough, Mass.) had a game-high 21 points and six steals to lead the way for the Hawks. Senior forward Sarah Ware (Oakham, Mass.) added 12 points, nine rebounds, and a season-high three blocks. Sophomore forward Katelyn Vazquez (Manchester, Conn.) had a team-high 13 points on 6-of-9 shooting off the bench for the Blue Jays, who have lost six of their last seven. Freshman forward Meredith Forman (Bristol, Conn.) added eight points in 20 minutes. The Blue Jays trailed by 23 at the half, and the Hawks cruised in the second half to the victory behind sharp shooting from Harrison.
Score: Saint Joseph 44, Becker 65
Records: USJ (9-10) Becker (7-12)
Location: Leicester Gymnasium | Worcester, Mass.
COACH QUOTE [Wendy Davis]
"We need to bring energy, effort, and enthusiasm for 40 minutes. Tonight we did it for 20, but against teams like Becker, that is simply not enough. The good news is we won the second half, and that is what we need to build on in these final six games. We must be ready to run and stop Regis in transition on Saturday."
- Ware scored eight of her 12 in the first quarter to give the Hawks an 18-8 lead after 10 minutes of play.
- After ending the opening quarter on a 12-2 run, the Hawks full-court press began to pay dividends in the second quarter, forcing nine Blue Jay turnovers. After a Vazquez layup to start the quarter, BC answered back with an 11-0 run spanning three minutes to lead it, 29-10, halfway through the quarter. They took a 23-point lead into the half.
- The Blue Jays could get no closer than 17 despite making solid adjustments, as the Hawks kept their feet on the gas pedal throughout the second half to close out the win. Harrison scored 17 of her 21 in the second half to lead the charge. She sat most of the first half with foul trouble.
NUMBER TO KNOW
31 – The Hawks scored 31 of their 65 points (48%) off turnovers. The Blue Jays turned it over 22 times, 15 in the first half.
- Becker held a 12-0 advantage in fastbreak points.
- The Blue Jays doubled up the Hawks in offense rebounds (16-8), but struggled from the field, shooting 28% (16-57).
- Saint Joseph had 15 assists on their 16 shots.
The USJ women's basketball team will be back in Great Northeast Athletic Conference (GNAC) action on Saturday, February 1 at Regis. Tip-off between the Blue Jays and the Pride is slated for 12:00 p.m. on Higgins Court. Regis has designated Saturday's contest as the National Girls and Women in Sports Day Dedication Game.
Follow USJ Athletics
For the latest on University of Saint Joseph athletics, follow the Blue Jays on social media on Facebook, Instagram, Twitter, and YouTube.
Fans can also download the USJ Front Row Mobile App and subscribe to our Newsletter and Text Alerts. #FearTheFlock #GoBlueJays