WESTON, Mass. - The University of Saint Joseph women's basketball team was outmatched by the size and strength of the Regis College (RC) Pride, 68-31, in a Great Northeast Athletic Conference (GNAC) matchup Saturday afternoon, in the Regis National Girls and Women in Sports Day Dedication Game.
Sophomore guard Shannon Kelley (Quincy, Mass.) scored a game-high 13 points on 5-for-7 shooting for the Pride. Sophomore forward Arie Searcy (Santa Rosa, Calif.) added 11. Junior guard Anna Chevarella (Derby, Conn.) was the only Blue Jay in double figures with 10. The Blue Jays could only muster four first-quarter points, and were never able to trim the lead any closer than nine.
Score: Saint Joseph 31, Regis 68
Records: USJ (9-11, 1-5 GNAC) Regis (11-9, 5-1 GNAC)
Location: Higgins Court | Weston, Mass.
COACH QUOTE [Wendy Davis]
"It was a rough day for the Blue Jays. We were beaten in every facet of the game today against a really good team. We will put our hard hats on again on Monday and prepare for Lasell."
- Searcy scored six in the first quarter, as the Pride wasted no time, taking a 15-4 lead after one.
- After a layup from junior captain Raelynn Voislow (Windsor Locks, Conn.), the Blue Jays cut the lead to nine, 18-9 with 8:25 left in the second.
- Regis turned it on from there, holding the USJ scoreless over the next six minutes to take a 31-9 lead. The Blue Jays never recovered.
NUMBER TO KNOW
10 – The Blue Jays made just 10 shots on the game (19%). Regis made 11 shots in the first half.
- Regis assisted on 10 of its first 11 shots.
- RC scored 31 points off turnovers to just three for USJ.
- Saint Joseph was doubled up in points in the paint, 24-12.
The USJ women's basketball team will be back in Great Northeast Athletic Conference (GNAC) action once again on Tuesday, February 4 at Lasell. Tip-off between the Blue Jays and the Lancers is slated for 6:00 p.m.
Follow USJ Athletics
For the latest on University of Saint Joseph athletics, follow the Blue Jays on social media on Facebook, Instagram, Twitter, and YouTube.
Fans can also download the USJ Front Row Mobile App and subscribe to our Newsletter and Text Alerts. #FearTheFlock #GoBlueJays