RIVERSIDE, R.I. — The University of Saint Joseph (USJ) tennis team fell in its Great Northeast Athletic Conference (GNAC) opener to defending GNAC runner-up Johnson & Wales University (JWU), who controlled the match throughout, as USJ dropped an 8-1 decision Saturday at the Centre Court Tennis Club. With the victory, the Wildcats remain unbeaten at 5-0 (2-0 GNAC), while the Blue Jays slip to 1-3 (0-1 GNAC).
The Blue Jays' lone win came in number three doubles, as senior captain Domonique Carnot (Meriden, Conn.) and freshman Emily Kerr (Portland, Conn.) secured an 8-4 victory. Kerr was also impressive in singles competition despite her first loss of the season, as she was the only Blue Jay to score more than two points in a singles set, losing 6-1, 6-4. Sophomore Carolyn Callahan (Southington, Conn.) was one of two Blue Jays to score in both singles sets (6-2, 6-1). Junior Claire Perry (Westport, Conn.) was nearly perfect from start to finish for JWU, winning in number one singles 6-0, 6-0, and in number one doubles, 8-1.
USJ 1 | JWU 8
1. Claire Parry/Drew Bobey (JWU) def. Jessica McAllister/Elaina Griffiths (USJ) 8-1
2. Kourtney Moore/Kat Ledesma (JWU) def. Carolyn Callahan/Marie Emerson (USJ) 8-0
3. Domonique Carnot/Emily Kerr (USJ) def. Lily Votta/Mackenzie Carroll (JWU) 8-4
1. Claire Parry (JWU) def. Jessica McAllister (USJ) 6-0, 6-0
2. Emily Hill (JWU) def. Domonique Carnot (USJ) 6-0, 6-0
3. Kourtney Moore (JWU) def. Elaina Griffiths (USJ) 6-0, 6-0
4. Drew Bobey (JWU) def. Emily Kerr (USJ) 6-1, 6-4
5. Gabriela Velazquez (JWU) def. Carolyn Callahan (USJ) 6-2, 6-1
6. Madison Allan (JWU) def. Elke Moser Melis (USJ) 6-2, 6-0
The USJ tennis team will get back to the grind on Wednesday, September 18, in its first home conference match of the season against Albertus Magnus. The match is set to start 4:00 p.m. at Hall High School.