WEST HARTFORD, Conn. — The University of Saint Joseph (USJ) women's tennis team impressed in its Great Northeast Athletic Conference (GNAC) home opener against Albertus Magnus College (AMC), winning 7-2 Wednesday at the Hall High School Tennis Courts. With the victory, the Blue Jays improve to 2-3 (1-1 GNAC), while the Falcons slip to 1-5 (0-3 GNAC).
The Blue Jays took two out of three in doubles competition, as sophomore Carolyn Callahan (Southington, Conn.) and freshman Marie Emerson (Killingworth, Conn.) continue to excite as a duo, winning their doubles match 8-1. Senior captain Domonique Carnot (Meriden, Conn.) and freshman Emily Kerr (Portland, Conn.) also handled AMC, 8-1. USJ took a 2-1 lead in the overall score heading into singles.
USJ took five of six singles matches to pull away for good, shutting out the Falcons in five of 10 sets, including a 6-0, 6-0 clean sweep for Callahan. Carnot and Kerr both improved their records to 4-1 on the year in singles matches with straight-set victories, while freshman Elke Moser Melis (Nijmegen, Netherlands) picked up her second singles win of the year with a 6-2, 6-0 clincher in the number six position. The Falcons received contributions from junior Jessica Coughlin (Durham, Conn.), who won in doubles, 8-3, alongside freshman Mariah Mandulak (Shelton, Conn.). Coughlin also triumphed in singles in a gritty matchup with sophomore Jessica McAllister (Bristol, Conn.), 6-2, 7-5, in the number one position.
USJ 7 | AMC 2
1. Jessica Coughlin/Mariah Mandulak (AMC) def. Jessica McAllister/Elaina Griffiths (USJ) 8-3
2. Carolyn Callahan/Marie Emerson (USJ) def. Nallely Magana/Cassie Couture (AMC) 8-1
3. Domonique Carnot/Emily Kerr (USJ) def. Nayelli Garcia/Andreah Orr (AMC) 8-1
1. Jessica Coughlin (AMC) def. Jessica McAllister (USJ) 6-2, 7-5
2. Domonique Carnot (USJ) def. Mariah Mandulak (AMC) 6-4, 6-0
3. Elaina Griffiths (USJ) def. Nallely Magana (AMC) 6-3, 6-0
4. Emily Kerr (USJ) def. Cassie Couture (AMC) 6-1, 6-2
5. Carolyn Callahan (USJ) def. Nayelli Garcia (AMC) 6-0, 6-0
6. Elke Moser Melis (USJ) def. Andreah Orr (AMC) 6-2, 6-0
The USJ women's tennis team will be back on the courts for the second of back-to-back-to-back-back action on Thursday, September 19, at 3:30 p.m. at Curry College.