MILTON, Mass. — The University of Saint Joseph (USJ) women's tennis team allowed three points or less for the second straight match, taking down Curry College (CC), 6-3 Thursday afternoon on the Trent J. Scott '96 Tennis Courts. With the victory, the Blue Jays improve to 3-3, while the Colonels drop to 0-8.
The Blue Jays opened up strong with a sweep of the doubles matches. Sophomore Jessica McAllister (Bristol, Conn.) and freshman Elaina Griffiths (Guilford, Conn.), who have been knocking on the door as a duo all year, took home their first doubles win of the season in a squeaker, 8-7, (7-4), taking full command in the tiebreak. Sophomore Carolyn Callahan (Southington, Conn.) and freshman Marie Emerson (Killingworth, Conn.) picked up a team leading third doubles win with ease, 8-2. The Blue Jays needed just two more points to take the overall heading into singles.
USJ's split with CC in singles competition was more than enough to take the overall, as freshman Emily Kerr (Portland, Conn.) controlled her match from the get-go, taking it in straight sets 6-1, 6-2. Freshman Elke Moser Melis (Nijmegen, Netherlands) also won again, knocking off junior Samantha Gilbert (Bedford, Mass.) in straight sets, 6-0, 6-3. The Blue Jays have not lost this season when they have won at least three matches in singles competition (3-0).
USJ 6 | CC 3
1. Jessica McAllister/Elaina Griffiths (USJ) def. Sophia Wiernusz/Alison Daigle (CC) 8-7 (7-4)
2. Carolyn Callahan/Marie Emerson (USJ) def. Natalie Valvo/Kelsie Merrill (CC) 8-2
3. Emily Kerr/Sarah Maglio (USJ) def. No player/No player (CC), by default
1. Sophia Wiernusz (CC) def. Jessica McAllister (USJ) 6-1, 7-6 (7-5)
2. Alison Daigle (CC) def. Elaina Griffiths (USJ) 6-2, 7-6
3. Emily Kerr (USJ) def. Natalie Valvo (CC) 6-1, 6-2
4. Kelsie Merrill (CC) def. Carolyn Callahan (USJ) 6-7, 6-4, 10-4
5. Elke Moser Melis (USJ) def. Samantha Gilbert (CC) 6-0, 6-3
6. Sarah Maglio (USJ) def. No player (CC), by default
The USJ women's tennis team will be back on the courts for the third of back-to-back-to-back-back action on Friday, September 20, at 1:00 p.m. for the Grass Courts Doubles Championships, at the International Tennis Hall of Fame in Newport, Rhode Island.
Follow USJ Athletics
For the latest on University of Saint Joseph athletics, follow the Blue Jays on social media on Facebook, Instagram, Twitter, and YouTube.
Fans can also download the USJ Front Row Mobile App and subscribe to our Newsletter and Text Alerts. #FearTheFlock #GoBlueJays