WOBURN, Mass.— Freshman Elaina Griffiths (Guilford, Conn.) won a thrilling deciding match to give the University of Saint Joseph (USJ) women's tennis team a 5-4 win over Lesley University (LU), on Thursday afternoon. With the victory, the Blue Jays improve to 5-5, while the Lynx dip to 6-6. USJ trailed once again, 2-1 heading into singles, but turned it on with three straight triumphs to take a 4-2 lead. After the Lynx took the next two, it came down to Griffiths, who defeated freshman Grace Jovanovich (West Bloomfield, MI) in a tight one-set match, 8-6.
Sophomore Carolyn Callahan (Southington, Conn.) and freshman Marie Emerson (Killingworth, Conn.) grabbed a team-high sixth doubles win in convincing fashion, knocking off junior Mary Pulling (Whitman Hanson, Mass.) and sophomore Annie Dai (Milton, Mass.), 8-0. Senior captain Domonique Carnot (Meriden, Conn.) and freshman Emily Kerr (Portland, Conn.) were dealt their first doubles loss of 2019, 8-2, giving the Lynx a 2-1 advantage in the overall heading into singles.
In singles, Callahan took a decisive 8-2 win to knot the overall at two. Freshman Elke Moser Melis (Nijmegen, Netherlands) and Kerr also won singles matches with ease to make it 4-2 in the overall. The Lynx battled back with back-to-back singles wins (8-4, 8-5) to tie it up, but Griffiths was able to utilize her agility on court to claim her fifth singles win, and the Blue Jays fifth victory of the season.
USJ 5 | LU 4
1. Maddie Abbott/Grace Jovanovich (LU) def. Jessica McAllister/Elaina Griffiths (USJ) 8-6
2. Carolyn Callahan/Marie Emerson (USJ) def. Mary Pulling/Annie Dai (LU) 8-0
3. Summer Lamprey/Morgan Anderson (LU) def. Domonique Carnot/Emily Kerr (USJ) 8-2
1. Maddie Abbott (LU) def. Jessica McAllister (USJ) 8-5
2. Morgan Anderson (LU) def. Domonique Carnot (USJ) 8-4
3. Elaina Griffiths (USJ) def. Grace Jovanovich (LU) 8-6
4. Emily Kerr (USJ) def. Summer Lamprey (LU) 8-1
5. Carolyn Callahan (USJ) def. Mary Pulling (LU) 8-2
6. Elke Moser Melis (USJ) def. Annie Dai (LU) 8-2
The USJ women's tennis team will be back home in a Great Northeast Athletic Conference (GNAC) matchup with Regis on Saturday, October 5, at 12:00 p.m. on the Hall High School Tennis Courts.
Follow USJ Athletics
For the latest on University of Saint Joseph athletics, follow the Blue Jays on social media on Facebook, Instagram, Twitter, and YouTube.
Fans can also download the USJ Front Row Mobile App and subscribe to our Newsletter and Text Alerts. #FearTheFlock #GoBlueJays