WEST HARTFORD, Conn.— The University of Saint Joseph (USJ) women's tennis team dropped an 8-1 decision to Great Northeast Athletic Conference (GNAC) rival Regis College (RC) on Senior Day, at the Hall High School Tennis Courts Saturday afternoon. With the victory, the Pride improves to 7-2 (4-2 GNAC), while the Blue Jays fall to 5-6 (2-4 GNAC). The Pride swept the doubles matches, 3-0, and sealed the overall victory in number two singles.
The Blue Jays refused to quit like they have all year, but the Pride had all the answers, winning the first seven matches of the meet, before freshman Elke Moser Melis (Nijmegen, Netherlands) broke through for an impressive win in number six singles, 1-6, 6-4, 10-3. Melis is now only behind classmate Emily Kerr (Portland, Conn.) in singles victories on the season with six. Sophomore Carolyn Callahan (Southington, Conn.) showed plenty of fight in number five singles, going toe-to-toe with junior Ginger Boodakian (Burlington, Mass.). After dropping a tight first set, 7-6, Callahan stormed back to win the second set with ease, 6-2. Boodakian bounced back in the tiebreaker though, clinching the match with a 10-5 win. Senior captain Domonique Carnot (Meriden, Conn.) left it all on the court on senior day, but was defeated in her doubles and singles matches.
USJ 1 | RC 8
1. Ariana McCormack/Carly Donovan (RC) def. Jessica McAllister/Elaina Griffiths (USJ) 8-4
2. Ginger Boodakian/Katelyn Mogelnicki (RC) def. Carolyn Callahan/Marie Emerson (USJ) 8-2
3. Kaitlyn Colby/Lauren Mogelnicki (RC) def. Domonique Carnot/Emily Kerr (USJ) 8-3
1. Carly Donovan (RC) def. Jessica McAllister (USJ) 6-0, 6-0
2. Ariana McCormack (RC) def. Domonique Carnot (USJ) 6-0, 6-1
3. Katelyn Mogelnicki (RC) def. Elaina Griffiths (USJ) 6-1, 6-4
4. Lauren Mogelnicki (RC) def. Emily Kerr (USJ) 6-4, 6-2
5. Ginger Boodakian (RC) def. Carolyn Callahan (USJ) 7-6, 2-6, 10-5
6. Elke Moser Melis (USJ) def. Kaeleigh FitzPatrick (RC) 1-6, 6-4, 10-3
The USJ women's tennis team enters its final week of the regular season, going head-to-head with Salve Regina on Monday, October 7 at 4:00 p.m. on the Salve Regina University Tennis Courts.
Follow USJ Athletics
For the latest on University of Saint Joseph athletics, follow the Blue Jays on social media on Facebook, Instagram, Twitter, and YouTube.
Fans can also download the USJ Front Row Mobile App and subscribe to our Newsletter and Text Alerts. #FearTheFlock #GoBlueJays