NEWPORT, R.I. – The University of Saint Joseph (USJ) women's tennis team dropped an 8-1 decision in a non-conference matchup with Salve Regina University (SRU) Monday on the Salve Regina University Tennis Courts. With the victory, the Seahawks improve to 3-7, while the Blue Jays fall to 5-7. The Seahawks swept the doubles matches, 3-0, and sealed the overall victory in number two singles.
Sophomore Lauren Harvey (Edmond, Okla.) and freshman Delaney Pothier (Mattapoisett, Mass.) impressed across the board, winning as a duo 8-2, before sweeping their singles matches in straight sets. They combined to drop only one game in four singles sets. On the Blue Jays' side, freshman Emily Kerr (Portland, Conn.) took the lone victory, knocking off senior Shealyn FitzPatrick (South Windsor, Conn.) in a back-and-forth battle, 5-7, 6-2, 1-0 (10-3). Sophomore Carolyn Callahan (Southington, Conn.) made things interesting in number five singles, but was ultimately defeated by junior Annemarie Haas (Whitinsville, Mass.), 7-6 (8-6), 6-3. Pothier clinched the overall for the Seahawks with her straight-sets win in number two singles.
USJ 1 | SRU 8
1. Lauren Harvey/Delaney Pothier (SRU) def. Elaina Griffiths/Jessica McAllister (USJ) 8-2
2. Laura Krick/Makenzie Sadler (SRU) def. Carolyn Callahan/Marie Emerson (USJ) 8-2
3. Lily Gorman/Annemarie Haas (SRU) def. Domonique Carnot/Emily Kerr (USJ) 8-5
1. Lauren Harvey (SRU) def. Jessica McAllister (USJ) 6-1, 6-0
2. Delaney Pothier (SRU) def. Domonique Carnot (USJ) 6-0, 6-0
3. Casey Farrell (SRU) def. Elaina Griffiths (USJ) 6-0, 6-0
4. Emily Kerr (USJ) def. Shealyn FitzPatrick (SRU) 5-7, 6-2, 1-0 (10-3)
5. Annemarie Haas (SRU) def. Carolyn Callahan (USJ) 7-6 (8-6), 6-3
6. Lily Gorman (SRU) def. Marie Emerson (USJ) 6-1, 6-2
The USJ women's tennis team wraps up its regular season with an away match at Simmons University on Saturday, October 12 at 12:00 p.m. on Daly Field.
With a Suffolk loss last Saturday, the Blue Jays have clinched the sixth and final spot in the Great Northeast Athletic Conference (GNAC) postseason tournament, which begins Wednesday, October 16. The Blue Jays will play Regis College in the 3-6 matchup at a time to be determined. Regis defeated USJ 8-1 at the Hall High School Tennis Courts on October 5.
Follow USJ Athletics
For the latest on University of Saint Joseph athletics, follow the Blue Jays on social media on Facebook, Instagram, Twitter, and YouTube.
Fans can also download the USJ Front Row Mobile App and subscribe to our Newsletter and Text Alerts. #FearTheFlock #GoBlueJays