WEST HARTFORD, Conn. – The University of Saint Joseph (USJ) women's tennis team took a 9-0 setback to Suffolk University (SU), in its home opener Saturday afternoon at the Elizabeth Ferry Speer Tennis Complex.
Prior to the match, both teams honored the 20th anniversary of 9/11 with a 20-second moment of silence. Flags were also set to half-mast, as the University of Saint Joseph, its administration, student-athletes and educators vow to never forget.
While the Blue Jays were unable to win the match, they would not go down without a fight, leaving it all on the courts on a sun-filled Saturday, as junior Elaina Griffiths (Guilford, Conn.) and sophomore Ananya Srivatsav (South Windsor, Conn.) played to tiebreakers in No. 3 and No. 4 singles respectively. Griffiths hung in there more than three hours after the matches had started, holding on in every volley, but eventually fell 10-8 in the tiebreaker to senior Kendall Smith (Stuttgart, Germany), as coaches from both sides congratulated the players on a thrilling contest. USJ will look to bring that same fight back to the complex when they host Western Connecticut Monday, September 13 at 4:00 p.m.
SU 9 | USJ 0
COACH QUOTE [Karen Piazza] "Everybody really fought hard today. We played a tough match [Friday], and had some that could've went either way today. It's important to keep your energy up and really go for the ball [on the second of a back-to-back], sometimes you can get tired, and I just had to tell them to hang in there a little bit longer. Elaina [Griffiths] had a lot of fight and a lot of drive. She really put it all out there on the court."
- Sarah Mezini/Ilda Ascic (SU) def. Emily Kerr/Elaina Griffiths (USJ), 8-2
- Kendall Smith/Barbara Consales (SU) def. Kathleen Gilland/Ananya Srivatsav (USJ), 8-4
- Dyani Mosquera/Alyssa Blade (SU) def. Julia Michaud/Jenna Griffith (USJ), 8-3
- Sarah Mezini (SU) def. Emily Kerr (USJ), 6-0, 6-1
- Ilda Ascic (SU) def. Kathleen Gilland (USJ), 6-3, 6-3
- Kendall Smith (SU) def. Elaina Griffiths (USJ), 6-3, 7-6 (10-8 tiebreaker)
- Barbara Consales (SU) def. Ananya Srivatsav (USJ), 4-6, 6-0, 1-0 (10-7 tiebreaker)
- Giuliana Claus (SU) def. Julia Michaud (USJ), 6-0, 6-0
- Bianca Prescott (SU) def. Maria Porth (USJ) 6-2, 6-0
The Blue Jays will be back in action at home again on Monday, September 13, going head to head in an in-state match with Western Connecticut State. First serve is set for 4:00 p.m. at the Elizabeth Ferry Speer Tennis Complex.
Follow USJ Athletics
For the latest on University of Saint Joseph athletics, follow the Blue Jays on social media on Facebook, Instagram, Twitter, and YouTube.