WESTON, Mass. – The University of Saint Joseph (USJ) women's tennis team dropped a Great Northeast Athletic Conference (GNAC) match to the Pride of Regis College (REG), 9-0, at the Regis Tennis Courts Wednesday afternoon. The setback ends the Blue Jays' quest for three-straight wins, while the Pride are now 4-2 on the year and remain undefeated in conference play. It marks the first match for the Blue Jays against the Pride since their quarterfinal defeat in the 2019 GNAC Tournament.
Regis was dominant in the scoring column, but things did not come easy early on, as No. 1 and No. 2 doubles matches came down to tiebreakers. The Pride got the better of the Blue Jays on both occasions, but credit sophomore Kathleen Gilland (Wethersfield, Conn.), junior captain Emily Kerr (Portland, Conn.), sophomore Ananya Srivatsav (South Windsor, Conn.) and junior Elaina Griffiths (Guildford, Conn.) for continuing to rally throughout their respective matches.
Down 3-0 heading to singles, USJ did all it could, winning several games in the first four singles matches, but in the end, Regis was just too much to handle for the third straight meeting.
USJ 0 | RC 9
COACH QUOTE [Karen Piazza] "We were extremely competitive today despite the final result, especially in doubles play. We made some great shots especially at the net. Unfortunately neither tiebreaker went our way. It was a hard-fought match against a very seasoned team."
1. Katelyn Mogelnicki/Kaeleigh FitzPatrick (REGIS) def. Kathleen Gilland/Emily Kerr (USJ), 8-7 (7-2 Tiebreaker)
2. Kaitlyn Colby/Lauren Mogelnicki (REGIS) def. Ananya Srivatsav/Elaina Griffiths (USJ), 8-7 (9-7 Tiebreaker)
3. Samantha Gevry/Stephanie Beatrice (REGIS) def. Julia Michaud/Anna Nemergut (USJ), 8-0
1. Katelyn Mogelnicki (REGIS) def. Emily Kerr (USJ), 6-3, 6-3
2. Lauren Mogelnicki (REGIS) def. Kathleen Gilland (USJ), 6-4, 6-3
3. Stephanie Beatrice (REGIS) def. Elaina Griffiths (USJ) 6-1, 6-3
4. Samantha Gevry (REGIS) def. Ananya Srivatsav (USJ) 6-3, 6-0
5. Kaitlyn Colby (REGIS) def. Julia Michaud (USJ) 6-1, 6-0
6. Kaeleigh FitzPatrick (REGIS) def. Jenna Griffith (USJ) 6-0, 6-0
The Blue Jays will look to bounce back when they take on Colby-Sawyer in a GNAC road contest on Saturday, September 25 at 1:00 p.m.
Follow USJ Athletics
For the latest on University of Saint Joseph athletics, follow the Blue Jays on social media on Facebook, Instagram, Twitter, and YouTube.