NEW LONDON, N.H. – The University of Saint Joseph (USJ) women's tennis team took a 9-0 setback to the Chargers of Colby-Sawyer College (CSC), in a Great Northeast Athletic Conference (GNAC) match at the Kelsey Courts Saturday.
Junior captain Emily Kerr (Portland, Conn.) led the way for the Blue Jays, winning six games on the day, including a very competitive doubles match with teammate and sophomore Kathleen Gilland (Wethersfield, Conn.). The Chargers were in complete control though down the stretch, taking all three doubles matches before a sweep of singles play. USJ is now 0-4 all-time against Colby-Sawyer dating back to 1994.
USJ 0 | CSC 9
COACH QUOTE [Karen Piazza] "Although it was a tough match, I thought we showed great sportsmanship throughout the day and never got our heads down. The effort was high, a match like this can only make us stronger!"
1. Emily Hill/Grace Carpenter (CSC) def. Kathleen Gilland/Emily Kerr (USJ), 8-3
2. Elise Hogan/Lindsay MacDonald (CSC) def. Elaina Griffiths/Ananya Srivatsav (USJ), 8-1
3. Margaret Fox/Mary Thoms (CSC) def. Julia Michaud/Anna Nemergut (USJ), 8-1
1. Lindsay MacDonald (CSC) def. Kathleen Gilland (USJ), 6-2, 6-0
2. Emily Hill (CSC) def. Emily Kerr (USJ), 6-3, 6-0
3. Grace Carpenter (CSC) def. Elaina Griffiths (USJ) 6-1, 6-1
4. Elise Hogan (CSC) def. Ananya Srivatsav (USJ) 6-1, 6-0
5. Amira Eid (CSC) def. Julia Michaud (USJ) 6-0, 6-0
6. Mei Genest (CSC) def. Jenna Griffith (USJ) 6-0, 6-0
The Blue Jays are headed home for a GNAC matchup with Simmons on Saturday, October 2 at 12:00 p.m. at the Elizabeth Ferry Speer Tennis Complex.
Follow USJ Athletics
For the latest on University of Saint Joseph athletics, follow the Blue Jays on social media on Facebook, Instagram, Twitter, and YouTube.