WEST HARTFORD, Conn. – The University of Saint Joseph (USJ) women's tennis team claimed an all-important, 6-3, Great Northeast Athletic Conference (GNAC) win over its intrastate and conference rivals, the Falcons of Albertus Magnus College (AMC) at the Elizabeth Ferry Speer Tennis Complex on a brisk Tuesday afternoon.
For the second straight match, the Blue Jays kicked things off with a 2-1 advantage in doubles, led by the dynamic duo of junior Elaina Griffiths (Guilford, Conn.) and sophomore Ananya Srivatsav (South Windsor, Conn.), who got USJ on the board with an 8-5 triumph at No. 2 Doubles. Junior Julia Michaud (Bristol, Conn.) and senior Maria Porth (West Hartford, Conn.) wrapped up a dominant decision in No. 3 Doubles, 8-2, to give Saint Joseph the lead. It marked Porth's first career collegiate win.
The Falcons fought back in singles, but the Blue Jays were too much to handle. Griffiths won No. 3 Singles convincingly in straight sets, 6-2, 6-0, while Michaud picked up where she left off as well in doubles by claiming the overall match point in a 6-2, 6-4 win at No. 5 Singles. Junior captain Emily Kerr (Portland, Conn.) kept those watching on the edge of their seats with a 6-7, 6-4, 10-5 win, the latter coming in a heated tiebreaker. The victory marked the second GNAC win for USJ this season.
AMC 3 | USJ 6
COACH QUOTE [Karen Piazza] "What a great performance by the Blue Jays today. The key to this one was patience, especially on those long points. It was important to be setting up their points and waiting for the right shot to go for it. I am super proud of today's effort, it is always great to get a conference win."
1. JuJu Oliver/Julianna Sigut (AMC) def. Kathleen Gilland/Emily Kerr (USJ) 8-6
2. Elaina Griffiths/Ananya Srivatsav (USJ) def. Mariah Mandulak/Naomi Rose Allen (AMC) 8-5
3. Julia Michaud/Maria Porth (USJ) def. Annamaria DeLucia/Sabrinna Accioly (AMC) 8-2
1. JuJu Oliver (AMC) def. Kathleen Gilland (USJ) 6-0, 6-3
2. Emily Kerr (USJ) def. Mariah Mandulak (AMC) 6-7, 6-4, 10-5
3. Elaina Griffiths (USJ) def. Naomi Rose Allen (AMC) 6-2, 6-0
4. Ananya Srivatsav (USJ) def. Julianna Sigut (AMC) 6-3, 6-2
5. Julia Michaud (USJ) def. Giana Cagna (AMC) 6-2, 6-4
6. Nayelli Garcia (AMC) def. Jenna Griffith (USJ) 6-4, 6-2
The Blue Jays continue their final home stand of the season in a non-conference matchup against Salve Regina at the Elizabeth Ferry Speer Tennis Complex on Thursday, October 7 at 3:30 p.m.
Follow USJ Athletics
For the latest on University of Saint Joseph athletics, follow the Blue Jays on social media on Facebook, Instagram, Twitter, and YouTube.