WEST HARTFORD, Conn. – The University of Saint Joseph (USJ) women's tennis team dropped its final non-conference home match, 8-1, to the Seahawks of Salve Regina University (SRU), at the Elizabeth Ferry Speer Tennis Complex Thursday afternoon.
Junior captain Emily Kerr (Portland, Conn.) was the lone scorer for USJ on the day, winning at No. 2 Singles, 6-4, 6-2. Kerr has now won back-to-back singles matches for the second time this season. A few Blue Jays dropped their first set in singles action, but quickly improved in their second set, including sophomore Ananya Srivatsav (South Windsor, Conn.). Others such as junior Julia Michaud (Bristol, Conn.) and sophomore Kathleen Gilland (Wethersfield, Conn.) were strong in the first set, but were unable to make as big a dent in set number two despite the effort. The Blue Jays have clinched a spot in the Great Northeast Athletic Conference (GNAC) playoffs though after Tuesday's victory over Albertus Magnus, and will finish as either the four or five seed in the regular season standings depending on Saturday's result against Eastern Nazarene. The winner of Saturday's match will earn the right to host the GNAC First Round match scheduled for the following Wednesday.
SRU 8 | USJ 1
COACH QUOTE [Karen Piazza] "It was a tough Salve Regina team, give credit to them, but I thought everybody gave their best effort. Emily [Kerr] coming through at number two [singles], that was a really well played match. Kathleen [Gilland] also had a good showing at number one doubles and singles. They took over the net quicker than we did. We're getting there and we can only get better. Everyone got something out of their match today."
1. Sailor Nordstrom/Alexa Stevens (SRU) def. Kathleen Gilland/Emily Kerr (USJ), 8-4
2. Annemarie Haas/Casey Farrell (SRU) def. Elaina Griffiths/Ananya Srivatsav (USJ), 8-1
3. Graysen Scherer/Ellysa Tancrede (SRU) def. Julia Michaud/Maria Porth (USJ), 8-2
1. Sailor Nordstrom (SRU) def. Kathleen Gilland (USJ), 6-4, 6-1
2. Emily Kerr (USJ) def. Alexa Stevens (SRU), 6-4, 6-2
3. Casey Farrell (SRU) def. Elaina Griffiths (USJ), 6-0, 6-0
4. Annemarie Haas (SRU) def. Ananya Srivatsav (USJ) 6-0, 6-3
5. Graysen Scherer (SRU) def. Julia Michaud (USJ) 6-4, 6-2
6. Ellysa Tancrede (SRU) def. Anna Nemergut (USJ), 6-0, 6-1
The Blue Jays will play in their final home match of the regular season, a GNAC contest against Eastern Nazarene. Senior Day celebrations will commence just before the opening serve at 12:00 p.m. at the Elizabeth Ferry Speer Tennis Complex on Saturday, October 9.
Follow USJ Athletics
For the latest on University of Saint Joseph athletics, follow the Blue Jays on social media on Facebook, Instagram, Twitter, and YouTube.