West Hartford, Conn. - The University of Saint Joseph (USJ) women's volleyball team came back to win the first match of the tri-match at home on Saturday at the O'Connell Center featuring the Regis College (Mass.) Pride and the Emmanuel College Saints. The Blue Jays defeated the Pride in five sets for game one, defending themselves to stay alive in the third set (26-24) finishing the match 3-2 (17-25, 20-25, 26-24, 26-24, 15-12).
Game 1 - USJ 3, Regis College (Mass.) Pride 2
Sophomore Aminah Tsonga (Plainville, Conn.) led Saint Joseph in the match winner with 15 kills, while Senior Torrie Epps (Windsor, Conn.) added 10 kills. Senior Brenna Miller (McCleary, Wash.) facilitated the offense and posted 34 assists. Hannah Benson (Terryville, Conn.) leads the defense with 21 digs, Janell Molina (Honolulu, HI) contributes to Benson's 21 with 14 of her own. Katryna Veasey leads the Regis Pride offense with 19 kills and Caroline Fuentes leads the Pride defense with 18 digs.
First Set: USJ 17-25
- The Blue Jays had 11 digs for the set, Hannah Benson (Terryville, Conn.) leading the team with four digs of her own.
- Senior Torrie Epps and Freshman Hannah Benson lead the Blue Jays on the offensive end with two kills a piece.
- Katryna Veasy of Regis leads the set with three kills.
Second Set: USJ 20-25
- Saint Joseph's Sophomore Aminah Tsonga lead the Blue Jays with five kills for the set.
- The Blue Jays led the set on the defensive end with 12 digs over the Pride with eight digs. The Blue Jays had all players contributing to the defensive end.
- Senior Brenna Miller (McCleary, Wash.) leads the set with nine asssits.
Third Set: 26-24
- From the Blue Jays Aminah Tsonga (Plainville, Conn.) led the offense with four kills, and added five digs on the defensive end.
- Hannah Benson (Terryville, Conn) added a solid eight digs for the set contributing to the teams overall 20 digs over the Regis Pride's 18 digs.
- Brenna Miller (McCleary, Wash.) leads the Blue Jays in assists with nine.
- Regis Pride, Katryna Veasy led the set with six kills of the Pride's 16 total kills.
- Mica van der Meulen of Regis led the set with 10 assists of Regis's 15 for the set.
Fourth Set: 25-24
- The Blue Jays come back from a 10-3 deficit in the beginning of the set, to win the fourth set 25-24.
- Aminah Tsonga (Plainville, Conn.) contributes five kills to the Blue Jays 11 of the set.
- The Blue Jays lead the set in digs over the Pride 12-11.
Fifth Set: 15-12
- The Blue Jays rally back from a 2-7 score to win the set 15-12. This gives the Blue Jays the victory of the match 3-2.
- The Blue Jays lead the offense with five kills and defense with nine digs. The Pride had two kills, and seven digs.
- Hannah Benson (Terryville, Conn.) leads the Blue Jays on the defense with four digs.
The Blue Jays had 42 kills to the Pride's 52 kills. The Blue Jays lead the defense with 64 digs to the Pride's 54 for the match.
Game 2 - USJ , Emannuel College Saint